Sunday, December 2, 2012

"...cultish social form. Jargon I don‘t like."




‎"I was thinking one time about creating weather by using music. In brain surgery they use ultrasonics for cutting away tissue. They do that by a heating process. I think of high frequencies creating heat in matter. Low frequencies are made up of pulses and movements of columns of air--an example of an extremely low frequency would be a hurricane or a whirlwind. In France a professor has studied a death-ray machine which propels very low sounds. He had this organ- pit which is several-hundred feet long and when they tested it out they killed a lot of people in the factory. A lot of people became sick. The machine made everything vibrate. The music I'd been writing six years ago was a set of instructions for the wind and listening to it--all the vibrations of sound. Some of the things I've been finding out about electronics seem to suggest that it's possible to produce sound to alter the temperature, make the air warmer or cooler, according to which combination of pitches you use. I'd like to have a tape that would create a 75-degree temperature. Over a period of days you could play a tape that would regulate the heat around you. The kind of heat that would give off would be in some cases like summer or autumn."

--John Cale










the classics remain...Bruce Conner made a cool accompanying video for this song, which appears in "SLOG" (a raucous and really funny film about early LA punk culture), but his version evidently isn't available online O WELL. (stills here.)


(first heard here, also Definitely worth viewing.)


 


this piece appears in an excellent documentary on Tokyo's avant-garde music scene, "We Don't Care About the Music, Anyway."











No comments: